About Me

Dr. J. (James) Alva Scruggs received a B. S. degree in Chemistry from Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University, M. S. in Chemistry from Southern Connecticut State University, M. A./ Degree in Urban Studies from Occidental College, and a Doctorate in Education Administration from the University of Massachusetts.

Monday, October 25, 2010

YOUR VOTE HAS BEEN PAID FOR IN BLOOD- DO NOT THROW IT AWAY--GO VOTE!!!



Here is a personal experience I would like to share with my fellow Americans. In 1949 I had to take and pass a “literacy test” to vote in the state of Alabama. My test was given to me written in Chinese! I of course could not read this language nor could anyone at the polls! After three tries a white city official, who knew my father arranged for me to get the test in English!

Does this remind you of anything thing we now hear from the Tea Party ?

If that does not catch your attention, maybe the fact that when my sainted mother tried to vote, she was pushed down a flight of four steps to the Court House hurting her badly.

Yes, voting is and was an important and coveted exercise which was kept from those who were thought undeserving- Blacks, Mexican’s and dogs.

Listen up, learn from history! Now in 2010 when voting is easy, why do American Blacks (and others) choose not to vote??

GO OUT AND VOTE IT IS YOUR EARNED PRIVILEGE AND RIGHT!!

No comments: